So You Found Out You’re Pregnant….What’s Next?June 1, 2016
Trials of the Third Trimester!June 22, 2016
Tales of the 2nd Trimester by Jill Miller RN
Woohoo welcome, you’ve made it! Life is good. You are in the second trimester. You are possibly coming out of the early pregnancy fog and seeing relief from symptoms. You could have renewed energy!
When does this happen? The second trimester starts at week 14 and last through week 27.
What can you expect? While most early pregnancy symptoms have been eliminated, you may persist to have some symptoms (such as heartburn, constipation, frequent urination, larger breasts)
- Backache, try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees.
- Bleeding and/or sensitive gums, use a soft toothbrush, you have more blood going to your gums now.
- Breast enlargement, the soreness should be gone, but you will continue to grow larger as your body prepares to feed baby.
- Keeping active and drinking lots of fluids helps!
- Dizziness, you have a higher blood volume, which may cause a lower blood pressure.
- Hair growth, thanks to pregnancy hormones your hair is growing faster and thicker.
- Small frequent meals are the key here! You also want to avoid foods that aggravate, which are often spicy, acidic and greasy foods. (Put those late night pizzas and tacos away!)
- Again, it’s due to a higher blood volume. Warm baths and sitz baths often help, your healthcare provider may also prescribe you a cream to help.
- Leg cramps, make sure you are eating a well- balanced diet.
- Movement, during this trimester, you should start feeling baby move. It will start off feeling like a flutter.
- Sex-life changes. You may notice more va va voom this trimester (all that extra blood flow dontcha know), but some of you will just not be in the mood! Communication is the key here!
As with anything, if you have concerns, check with your healthcare provider.
Your baby will be here before you know it!